Saturday, April 03, 2010

Chapter 7, Day 3

Today... well, today was brutal. Don't get me wrong. This isn't a discouraged moment. This is just the truth. Six hours of standing in one spot trying to make perfect julienne carrots and potatoes is a gut-wrenching experience. I fully understand that chefs are on their feet for very long hours and work for very long stretches without stopping for anything. I know that this will be me in a short amount of time. But let me tell you, when you have a mainly desk-type job for 8 years and don't do a large amount of strenuous activity because you're a lazy slob like myself, 6 hours of standing in one spot with new shoes bent over a table with a knife in your hand is like asking a drunk for directions... it's just painful.
But like all things that are worthwhile, there is pain to be had and lessons to be learned. Today I got a really good lesson in "This is what happens when you are a lazy son-of-a-bitch"

No more, my friends... no more.
:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ames, you've taken that first hard step into a new venture. You'll be fine (once your feet stop hurting) and the chef in you will take over.
Aunt Sue

Ms. Thomas said...

The art of the julienned carrot. Can't wait for that post!

Keep at it Ames. This is your calling.

Jen said...

What kind of shoes do chefs wear? Please tell me you're not sporting anything orange, like Mario Batali ...

Keep at it!! We're all rooting for ya!

Ames said...

No Jen, mine are pink
HAHAHA... not so much.. they are just non-skid, ugly black shoes

Philip Deskins said...

Hang in there, Amy. You can do this!