Monday, October 23, 2006

So seriously...

I'm very seriously considering trying to find a way to start my own business... I only have one problem. I don't have a freaking clue what to do. I'm pretty ok with web design, but not good enough to be in business for myself... in fact I'm pretty good at a lot of things, but not good enough to do them professionally forever. I'm stuck. I know that I have reached the end of my limit of working my a$$ off for other people. It's kinda like renting a house except instead of throwing your money away, you're throwing away your time, energy, and pride (Of course, I'm still renting too). It's a harsh realization that you have spent a lot of emotion and energy on behalf of someone else. It is even worse to not see a way out. I'd really like to open a restaurant/bar, but that's a big damn deal.

anybody got any ideas?

Toodles,
a

7 comments:

Ms. Thomas said...

I'd suggest you work at a bar/restaurant. I know it's sucky work (although maybe not as bad as what you're doing now sounds), but it's also an excellent education. (I read on the airplane mag yesterday about Vocation Vacations, a travel agency that lets people try out new jobs to see if they're really all they imagine them to be.) Then I'd recommend reading the prologue to The Tremor Bar so you know just what type of bar to imagine. Then I'd recommend keeping an open mind, a hopeful heart, and a vivid imagination. Finally, after all that, I'd recommend just doing it, taking the chance and expecting to fail but knowing that whatever the outcome you will ultimately feel successful because you did something you dreamt about. That's what life is for, eh?

shethunkdat said...

Try this: http://www.ksbdc.org/

shethunkdat said...

Also, I would try some networking. A good start is to put lizany.blogspot.com on your links. K, thanks.

Ms. Thomas said...

CORRECTION: The book is called The Tender Bar. Sorry for the confusion, I just started it yesterday. Another good networking start is to add Like a Twister to your links. K, thanks.

Ames said...

Thanks Ladies! I appreciate the input. And I'm super sorry for not getting the links up there sooner... I only work on this at work and I just hadn't gotten to it yet. It's so freakin' scary to start all over again, but it's more scary to think that I'll be doing this for the rest of my life.
a

Philip Deskins said...

Two words: Shirtless Matt's

Ms. Thomas said...

Has everyone forgotten my incredible talent as a server? I fling wings like a pro. Sign me up, just make sure it's in a warm climate, preferably a boat drive from my house. Thanks!