Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I do not like Massachusetts because Massachusetts is the team that beat Kentucky...

So, picture it... 1996... March Madness... and Dave wears a T-shirt that spouts an entire reason why he (we) didn't like Massachusetts coached by one John Calipari. We hated him and his team. It all turned out ok as I think most of us remember, but that time started my distaste for 'Cal'.
Fast forward 13 years later and guess what? That's right, Cal is our coach. I have found myself calling him everything from a prima donna to a sleaze-ball. I think back to a week ago when it was pretty evident that BCG was on his way out and pretty much my choices were Eddie Munster and this guy that I couldn't stand. I started really thinking about it and I couldn't come up with one good reason to hate Cal except that he won a lot of games... huh... that was very different from my thoughts about Billy Donovan. Not that I could come up with great reasons why he shouldn't be our coach, but there was just something I couldn't put my finger on... I really didn't want him.

So, I put all my focus on finding out everything I could about John Calipari... Turns out, there isn't really much to dislike other than that 'Marcus Camby Incident' which he was pretty much exhonerated for. Don't get me wrong, I still think he should be watched like a hawk, but then again, in this day and age so should every college coach in a high profile position. In fact, if there is a personality in this sport that handle this job, it's him. I found myself looking at news wires, message boards and other sources with baited breath trying to figure out if and/or when he was going to sign on the dotted line. So, now, with much excitement for a new beginning to our team, I'd like to say 'Welcome Coach Cal! We're very excited you are here!'

4 comments:

Philip Deskins said...

Last time I asked, Dave still has the shirt and breaks it out only for "big games"

Anonymous said...

David still has every t-shirt he's ever owned. I'm not allowed to touch them.
Lisa

Jen said...

Was that the game we all watched at the Bob where Leiah's friend that was a Mass fan came over and a shoe was eventually thrown? A lot of those days are fuzzy for me ...

Ames said...

Phil--They are all about to be big games.
Lisa--That's funny... I bet it would be war if that particular shirt were ever lost.
JMill--Dear god, all i remember is the shoe... I don't recall when or why... HAHAHA... who threw that shoe anyway??? was it me?